SymplyPRO XTF – Desktop Thunderbolt 3 – FH LTO-9
The SymplyPRO LTO XTF contains a single Full Height LTO-9 tape drive.
- Light but robust Space Grey desktop enclosure.
- Dual Thunderbolt 3 which allows for daisy chaining.
- Includes: 1 x LTO Data & Cleaning Cartridge +2m Thunderbolt 3 cable
£8,268.00 inc.Vat | £6,890.00 ex.VAT
SymplyPRO XTF Desktop with Thunderbolt 3 Interface (supports device charging & daisy chaining).
Space grey enclosure for backup and archive, with 1 x LTO-9 Full-Height tape drive.
Featuring sleek space grey rugged metal alloy enclosure.
Native Capacity of 18TB (45TB compressed) and native performance of 400MB/Sec (900MB/Sec compressed).
Compatible with LTFS, WORM Media, and 256-bit encryption.
Whisper quiet operation with premium Noctua Fan, Internal Auto-Switching Power Supply (110-240v).
All dual drive desktop designs from Symply feature Symply CableLess technology.
A unique design that allows for the easy removal of LTO drives, making them highly serviceable and easy to upgradeable. So you can start with one LTO in your desktop system and add an additional drive in a matter of seconds, without even having to power the system off.
Likewise for servicing, if in the unlikely event of a drive failure, the failed drive can be removed without the need to power off the whole system, and only the failed drive need be returned for repair. Simple.
Full Height vs Half Height Drives, What’s the Difference?
The primary difference between LTO-9 Full-Height and Half Height drives is the performance, with the Full Height drive providing an extra 100MB/Sec of throughput with LTO-9 media and giving an extra 60MB/Sec with LTO-8 media in a Full Height LTO-9 drive.
What Makes the Full-Height Drive Different?
For LTO drives, a bigger form factor is better, and brings the following 5 advantages…
- Larger Motors for Performance and Reliability. The larger form factor of the Full-Height Drives allows for larger motors providing a higher performance in terms of both throughput and seek time. The larger motors also operate a lower percentage of their designed maximum load making them more reliable. The additional space within the LTO drive also allow for better cooling efficiency.
- Faster Media Movement and Acceleration. The faster motors and additional space at the tape heads all Full Height drives allows for the fast movement of the tape media through the drive. Improving the seek time both forwards and backwards through the tape media.
- Greater Tolerance to Vibration and Shock. The Full Height drive has a much more robust base plate, that aids the structural integrity of the drive, increasing the drive resilience shock and vibration.
- Higher Cartridge Insertion Force Tolerance. The loading mechanisms on the Full Height drives can handle a significantly greater insertion force. Although originally designed to better support LTO automation, the mechanism’s robustness is equally advantageous in standalone desktop and rackmount scenarios.
- Higher Performance. As we have seen Full Height Drives provide a higher throughput compared to Half-Height drives. The combination of larger motors and a better mechanical fabrication make the Full Height drives as a future-proof choice for sustained high-performance applications.
What makes Full Height Drives a Better Choice for High-Performance Environments?
While both FH and HH versions share common characteristics, the distinctive features of Full Height LTO-9 tape drives make them the superior choice for demanding environments and specific use cases. The advantages in reliability, performance, and durability of Full Height drives as the preferred solution, where efficiency and speed are paramount.
Consider that using and LTO-9 Full Height drive instead of a Half-Height LTO-9 drive provides an extra 100MB/Sec of uncompressed performance. Over a period of say an 8-hour working day, it is possible to archive and extra 2.88TB (or an additional 8.64TB in 24hrs). In a demanding high throughput environment where deadlines are always tight, the performance and reliability advantages of Full Height drives can make all the difference.
The advantages of Full-Height LTO-9 technology are too good to be only the preserve of automated tape libraries, so Symply decided to bring the technology benefits to a wider audience by creating a series of world’s first products. Including the first Thunderbolt 3AS connected FH LTO-9 Drive and the first 10Gb Ethernet-connected LTO-9 drive, both available in desktop and 2RU appliances.
- 1 x data cartridge
- 1 x cleaning cartridge
- 1 x 2m (6.5ft) Active Thunderbolt 3 cable
- 1 x Local Power Cable and SymplyATOM software.
- 3 Year Warranty, with optional extension to 5 years.
|LTO Drive Type
|LTO Drive Height